Did you know...
- Every 11 seconds, a senior is treated in the ER for a fall related injury.
- According to the National Council on Aging, one in four Americans over the age of 65 falls each year.
- Every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury among older adults, and the most frequent reason for non-fatal trauma as well.
- More than 300,000 people are hospitalized each year from broken hips, and 95 percent of these fractures are the result of a fall, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- The average cost of treating a fall is $30,000!
8 Things to Have the Doctor Check After an Aging Person Falls
1. An assessment for underlying new illness.
2. A blood pressure and pulse reading when sitting, and when standing.
3. Blood tests
4. Medications review
- Any sedatives, tranquilizers, or sleeping medications.
- Blood pressure and diabetes medications.
- “Anticholinergic” medications.
- Opiate pain medications
5. Gait and balance.
- Address any pain or discomfort.
6. Evaluation for underlying heart conditions or neurological conditions.
7. Vision, podiatry, orthopedic and home safety referrals.
8. Vitamin D levels